Maeve went to bed a little early again tonight and then my internet went kaput so I had some free time on my hands. I have always wanted an apron but I could never find one that I liked enough to actually buy. Well I had this skirt in my closet that I absolutely love...but I never wear it. Never. It has been in the closet since the day I bought it...in high school. Instead of letting it go to waste I transformed it into my new apron!
Here is the skirt before I started working on it. I love it...I just never had anything to wear it with...and now it is too big.
I folded the shirt to the length I wanted it for my apron and altered the shape a little bit and then I cut and pinned.
I left the inside slip part of the skirt because it would make it a bit more sturdy as an apron.

After I had everything pinned I went around the skirt and sewed the cut ends so they wouldn't fray and had finished edges. Then I went and measured the ties of the apron and cut them out. I then did the same thing I did with the skirt, pinning the cut edges to make then closed. Surprisingly that took a while because I am apparently incapable of pinning in a straight line....but I eventually got it...sorta. There is one part on the apron where you can see the seams don't line up exactly, but I really don't mind. So after I sewed the edges on the straps closed and together I then pinned them to my apron and started to sew them on. Once I had it finished I thought it needed something else. It was missing color in the actual body of the apron, so I took one of my scrap strips, folded, pinned, closed and then sewed that onto the apron itself. And voila! I now have an amazing apron that I love up cycled from a skirt that I have been hanging onto for years!
No comments:
Post a Comment